Trump Administration Asks Supreme Court to Let White House Ballroom Work Continue as Appeals Stay Nears Expiration
The Trump administration filed an emergency application with the U.S.
The Trump administration filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court asking the justices to suspend a D.C. Circuit order that would stop above‑ground work on the White House’s $400 million ballroom while the case proceeds on appeal. Chief Justice John Roberts directed the preservation group that sued to respond on a tight timetable, and the appeals court’s temporary pause on its own injunction is scheduled to lapse on Aug. 21 unless the high court acts.
The legal fight centers on whether the president may demolish and rebuild a portion of the Executive Residence without congressional authorization. A federal district judge in April ordered above‑ground construction stopped except for work needed to protect security, and a divided three‑judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit last week upheld that injunction in a 2–1 decision while allowing underground security work to continue. The majority said Congress must weigh in before the hospitality space can be completed; the lone dissent took a broader view of executive authority.
In asking the Supreme Court to intervene, the Justice Department argued the ballroom is part of an “integrated military complex” that includes below‑ground protective and medical facilities and that halting above‑ground work now would create safety and stability risks at an active construction site. Government filings say the project is already well underway and estimate that much of the structural work is complete. The administration also contends the preservation group lacks legal grounds to stop a project the White House describes as essential to presidential safety.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which brought the suit, urged the high court to leave the injunction in place and accused the administration of trying to “outrun judicial review” by accelerating construction. The trust argues the White House lacks statutory authority to raze a historic wing and erect a 90,000‑square‑foot ballroom without Congress’s explicit authorization, and it says the lower‑court injunction was narrowly tailored to preserve the status quo.
Beyond the legal briefs, the case is testing constitutional lines over control of federal property and the limits of unilateral executive action. Lawmakers and preservationists see the dispute as a potential precedent: a ruling for the administration could expand the circumstances under which presidents undertake major changes to federal buildings without congressional approval; a ruling against it would reinforce legislative control over federal infrastructure and appropriations.
Practical and political pressures are colliding. Congress is in recess for much of August, making rapid legislative authorization unlikely; members of both parties have pressed for audits or oversight of the project’s costs and funding sources. If the Supreme Court declines to issue a stay, contractors would have to stop above‑ground work immediately, raising questions about site security, subcontractor costs and the future of a project whose footprint has already required demolition of the White House’s East Wing.
Why it matters
The dispute asks the Supreme Court to decide a narrow emergency question—whether construction can continue pending appeal—but its outcome could reshape separation‑of‑powers practice by defining how far a president may act on federal property without Congress; it also has immediate security, funding and oversight consequences while the nation approaches a busy political season.
What to watch
Watch for a short, administrative decision from the court on the stay petition in the coming days; if the court grants a temporary stay the ballroom’s above‑ground work would continue while lower‑court litigation proceeds, but a denial would trigger an immediate halt and likely new rounds of congressional scrutiny and budget questions. Also monitor whether members of Congress move to intervene, request GAO or inspector‑general reviews, or propose emergency legislation while the high court considers the broader merits.